[Koha] Simple MARC reference information

Kevin O'Rourke lists at caboose.org.uk
Tue Aug 22 22:49:31 NZST 2006

Hi,

I'm in charge of information technology at the National Teachers'
Institute in Kaduna, Nigeria.  NTI provides teacher training by distance
learning, so our students are scattered all over the country.  One of
our aims is to make the library more accessible to the students.

I've just set up a Koha server at our library so that the staff can try
it out.  If this trial is successful we'll set up a dedicated server and
we'll start the long process of adding all the books to the system.

One problem we've encountered so far is that none of us understand MARC.
 The reference materials I've found so far are all a bit theoretical,
which is probably fine if your degree was library-related.

Can anyone suggest a good simple guide to MARC?  I'm looking to develop
some simple guidelines along the lines of "Enter the author's name in
the XXX field, surname first then a comma followed by the other names".

Kevin

--
Kevin O'Rourke
ICT Coordinator, National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna, Nigeria