[Koha] FW: Problems with Authorities and Links

Henri-Damien LAURENT laurenthdl at alinto.com
Sat Apr 29 01:06:48 NZST 2006

Maria Doria a écrit :
> Hi, Cátia!
> If you can read French, I recommend reading the Koha documwntation in
> French. Sometimes is more detailed than the English one.
> About the linking problem you report, I'm still trying to figure it
> out, but I am still a rookie user - If I can get any valuable answer
> I'll get it right to you.
> My best regards,
> Maria Doria

> CITI / DEP - Divisão de Estudos e Projectos
> INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
> Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, 22 - 1649-038 Lisboa - Portugal
> Tel.: + 351 217 127 030 (directo)
> Fax: + 351 217 127 059
> Endereço de correio electrónico: maria.doria at ineti.pt
> <mailto:maria.doria at ineti.pt>

dear all,
I think you definitely misunderstand use of some fields.
200$f is DESCRIPTIVE information field (in common Library use) So you
should TYPE author name(s) as they are on title page (The first page of
the book inside the book).
And 700 are authoritative forms of Names. So THERE you should use
Authorities.

About links, it is not a way to tell Koha To duplicate informations
between fields.
But think of it rather as a way to search all books containing namely
the SAME information.
For instance, I have a book say Tolkien, "the two towers" which 610$a
(UNIMARC for subject, free text) contains "fairy tales".
If I linked 610$a with 610a in parameters. Then a new pictogram comes
out near "fairy tales". If I click on this wen, I will search the
catalogue for all biblios which have the same string in field 610$a.
If I linked 701$a with 200f in parameters. Then a new pictogram comes
out near "Tolkien" (If Tolkien was an authority and was chosen in 701
field). If I click on this wen, I will search the catalogue for all
biblios which have the same string in field 200$f.

Here is the idea of "link". It gives user the opportunity to follow a link.
HTH
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT