[Koha] More question on Cataloging using different characterset(Arabic, Chinese & etc.)

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu Mar 2 02:38:13 NZDT 2006

Salvete!

Hey, thanks for the compliment, Steven. :D

>If you want your patrons to be able to search with Arabic words in
subject headings as well, you may have
>to find an Arabic-language thesaurus. I think Dewey (19? 20?) has been
translated into Arabic but I am not
>sure about LCSH. Otherwise, there might be a Malaysian national
standard to use.

After some discussion on this list a looong time ago, if you've not
selected a classification system, I would heartily urge you to consider
Colon Classification. While you might be a little daunted by it at
first, I believe that its flexibility would reward your efforts in the
long run. Use an old fashioned Ranganathan version, instead of the
newest issue. If I had guts and an army of assistants, that's what I'd
use.
Dewey, in my not so humble opinion, would be an awful choice for an
Arabic library due to it's Western slant. I was helping my clerk
classify language tapes that we got in yesterday, and she was
justifiably confused. While French, Italian, German and Spanish all
played nicely, Japanese, Chinese and Arabic were funky by comparison.
I'd be hesitant to commit to something that's not particularly friendly
or extensive in your area of focus.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA