[Koha] Starting with Koha

Jared Camins-Esakov camins2 at tcnj.edu
Sat Jun 18 15:02:55 NZST 2005

Greetings all.

I was just asked by a friend to help set up her church's library with an
ILS. They have a very limited budget, so they wanted to use a low-cost
or free system. I recommended Koha, as from what I have seen it appears
to be far and away the nicest Open Source ILS. Unfortunately, I have
never used Koha, so I was wondering if there was anything anyone could
suggest to familiarize myself with the system. I have not gotten a
chance to install Koha yet, but I hope to do so this weekend. I guess
what I'm really curious about is, what do people think is the best way
to learn to use Koha, and what has worked for them? I have experience
several years of experience as a programmer (primarily C/C++, but I do
have some Perl knowledge), and I have worked in both cataloging and
circulation departments at libraries, so hopefully there won't be too
many concepts that I don't know. Just the mechanics of using the system.

Thanks in advance.
-- Jared Camins-Esakov

P.S. Depending on the amount of work that is required from me, I
probably won't be able to work for free on this project. Does anyone
have any suggestions about appropriate pricing for consulting on a
project like this? The library has about 2000 volumes, 2 volunteer
librarians who may or may not be computer savvy, and no previous ILS.

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
E-mail: camins2 at tcnj.edu