[Koha] Librarians Helper

Karl Agee kdagee2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 14:46:18 NZDT 2005

--- "Steven F. Baljkas" <baljkas at mts.net> wrote:

> Sunday, February 13, 2005    22:39 CST
>
> Hi, Karl,
>
> Checking Cibbarelli's Directory of Library
> Automation Software, Systems, and Services
> (2001-2002 ed.) quickly, it seems that Librarian's
> Helper does not offer import or export in MARC
> format.
>
> As many non-MARC fans of Koha would point out
> quickly, however, Koha works quite fine without use
> of MARC records. There is, indeed, a non-MARC
> setting, as Koha was originally made for a library
> trust in New Zealand that continues to use it
> happily and successfully without MARC-on.
>
> I am not sure about migrating your database.
>
> I am dismayed by what I am reading in Cibbarelli's
> though. The supplier's comments note only that it is
> designed to produce catalogue cards and various
> labels, but NOT a true database. Are you sure you
> actually have a database to import into Koha?

Well, I'm not a librarian or even using that system.
They do put info on books into it for patrons to look
up.  and they do use it to look up stuff.

They also do have a backup feature meaning they save
the "database" onto disks for backup.  and I do have
those.

Also, ResourceMate, one of the apps we are looking at,
does, according to their web site, import the data
from Librarians helper into their program.

I havent played with Librarians helper enough to know
much about it.  I'm just getting started on this
project.

--Karl