[Koha] Librarians Helper

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Mon Feb 14 17:54:25 NZDT 2005

Sunday, February 13, 2005    22:39 CST

Hi, Karl,

Checking Cibbarelli's Directory of Library Automation Software, Systems, and Services (2001-2002 ed.) quickly, it seems that Librarian's Helper does not offer import or export in MARC format.

As many non-MARC fans of Koha would point out quickly, however, Koha works quite fine without use of MARC records. There is, indeed, a non-MARC setting, as Koha was originally made for a library trust in New Zealand that continues to use it happily and successfully without MARC-on.

I am not sure about migrating your database.

I am dismayed by what I am reading in Cibbarelli's though. The supplier's comments note only that it is designed to produce catalogue cards and various labels, but NOT a true database. Are you sure you actually have a database to import into Koha?

If it is at all reassuring, though, I would assume that, at the very worst, if there is a database, you should be able to extract the data (does Librarian's Helper offer ANY export options? from what I am reading in Cibbarelli's it sounds like there are none built in) from wherever it 'hides' in the program, although you may have to reformat (standardise) it substantially before Koha can handle it.

If you can find any export option, I would be curious to learn more about it. Also, please feel free to give me a shout off listserv re: some cataloguing advice: I know some MLIS folks who are working/have worked on church collections and who are always willing to pass on what they've learned.

Best wishes with your migration to Koha.

Sincerely,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte