[Koha] about classification and callnumber (for "tungsten")

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Nov 23 22:09:59 NZDT 2004

Hello all, hi tungsten,

I've read your irc question. Something has to be explained...

Callnumber explains where the item is located physically
Classification helps finding books on a topic/subject.

In most libraries, the callnumber is a classification (books are ordered
by Dewey, or by LC...)
But in some, the callnumber has nothing to do with the classification.
So, in Koha, callnumber and classification are different things :
* the callnumber is attached to ITEMS.
* the classification is attached to BIBLIO.

a systempref parameters tells Koha to define automatically callnumber
from a biblio field :
itemcallnumber. I realize I've forgotten it in installer... I fix this
immediatly.
You can add it manually in your systempreferences, just add a
"itemcallnumber" entry, with a value of FieldSubfield (676a -dewey in
UNIMARC-, 680a -Loc in UNIMARC, or any other bibio field/subfield)

NOTE : this works for manually added biblios only.
For biblios migrated with bulkmarcimport, you must copy the callnumber
yourself (in bulkmarcimport.pl)

Is it clear ?

--
Paul POULAIN