[Koha] Where's the Dewey - CLARIFICATION NEEDED!!

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Tue Oct 19 04:58:43 NZDT 2004

Baljkas Family said:

> I feel like the voice crying in the wilderness, but here I go again: What
> Koha needs to do is ADOPT/ASSIGN A STANDARDISED/DEFAULT (modifiable if you
> wish) MARC TAG FOR THE CALL NUMBER TO BE USED/DISPLAYED BY THE SYSTEM.
>
> This number could be contained in the 090, it could be in 852, etc. There
> are several options. (LC's actual number is in the 050, with
> qualifications on actual locations in 925 and 955.) Different ILS usually
> make one location the default and unlike Koha don't give anyone the right
> to change that. If, in Open Source spirit, you wish to make this
> modifiable, that is super: just, please, please, please MAKE A DECISION.
> Dare to be autocratic.

Why be autocratic?  Why mandate the tags that can be used for local
information?  I think we should continue to let libraries either use their
current MARC layout or devise their own local information tag and then
just tell Koha where to find the information, instead of hard-coding a
certain tag and subfield where everyone has to put their local call
number.

Stephen
--
Stephen Hedges