[Koha] Where's the Dewey - CLARIFICATION NEEDED!!

Andres Tarallo tarallo at ort.edu.uy
Thu Oct 14 07:16:16 NZDT 2004

Baljkas Family wrote:
[..]

>I was treated to the condescension of being told that I don't understand basic library terms.

As I've told all of you when I'm intrduced myself in a programmer not a
library technician

>The problem Andres is running into is the IMPORTANT DISTINCTION (and until Dave Bigwood or one of my cataloguing mentors tells me I have this wrong I am sticking with what I know I was taught and have seen applied) BETWEEN AN ASSIGNED
>CALL NUMBER (in this case Dewey) AND A CALL NUMBER USED LOCALLY.
>

 >Andres, the 082 is the correct tag for an (any) assigned Dewey number.
Hmm... that was not what I understood from reading the documents of LOC.
Take into account that we don't follow the LOC directives.
 > The indicators are used to code its cataloguing >source. Similarly
for the 050 (LC number) or, for Canadians, 055 (LC-type > number
assigned by NLC).

>The custom of using 090 for the LOCAL call number stays with us (remains in several ILS) because the 090 WAS the place LC used to store its local call number used.

OK, so I shoud map my Dewey to 082? I might misunderstood the LOC.

>I feel like the voice crying in the wilderness, but here I go again: What Koha needs to do is ADOPT/ASSIGN A STANDARDISED/DEFAULT (modifiable if you wish) MARC TAG FOR THE CALL NUMBER TO BE USED/DISPLAYED BY THE SYSTEM.

You seem to be confirming my suspects.

>Andres, as for a more immediate solution to your problem: I think Stephen Hedges fielded this question (when I last remember it arising) several months ago. Maybe you can find it in the archives? Mapping the 082 to the 090?

I might map my current field (remember that I use CDS/ISIS) to 082.

>Stepping down off the soap box now, in the hopes that this may get us somewhere new,

So do I.