[koha] web sites, was: Meeting Notes

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 24 21:38:16 NZST 2004

On 2004-09-24 04:55:12 +0100 Rachel Hamilton-Williams
<rachel at katipo.co.nz> wrote:

>> like the koha logo are restricted use and most of the koha site is
>> the
>> default copyright (all rights reserved), as far as I can tell.
> You what?
>
> You're more than welcome to use the Koha logo etc - they are on the
> site for
> download (the links to them seem to disapear with alarming regularity
> but
> sorting that is Mikes new job :-)

On http://koha.org/developers/ it says "You are welcome to download
and use these logos/graphics for the promotion and publicity of the
Koha Library System. You may not use them for any other purpose." That
is a restriction on field of use, which conflicts with things like the
debian free software guidelines:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines (guideline 6).

> And that's why I put the presentation and print materials up there
> http://www.koha.org/about/brochure.html
> http://www.koha.org/about/presentation/index.html
> So you can use the content of them.....

I only see permission to reprint the 2002 brochure. Here, unless I
have permission to do something to a copyrighted work, many acts
infringe copyright, including taking the content and including it in
my own work. Is NZ copyright very different?

>> That's very annoying when making publicity materials at short notice
>> and
>> part of the motive for my Koha England microsite: anyone can use its
>> text,
>> although I like being credited.
> Right - I quite deliberatly don't say anywhere on the site that it is
> "owned"
> by Katipo - there is no Katipo logo or copyright statement claiming
> ownership
> by Katipo.  You are free to use it (and put stuff on it too if you
> want) as
> long as it's for the koha project.

If that's what you want, you should say it. If I remember it
correctly, in any Berne Union state, the author automatically gets
copyright on a substantial creation.

It says on the "Contact Us" page that the site is maintained by Katipo.

> The "blobbies" have a licence with them that is just that they can't
> be
> resold - so you can use them too.

A lot of what I do these days involves commerce, so I avoid things
with that restriction as much as possible.

> What I didn't want to happen was that someone use the Koha site stuff
> for
> something not connected with koha, but anyone who is doing stuff with
> Koha is
> more than welcome to use logos, designs etc.

Personally, I'd be delighted to see koha-related materials like
"introduction to libraries for sysadmins" reused for non-koha things.
I think it makes it more likely that koha gets good publicity (from a
credit on the materials if nothing else) and more likely that others
will want to let us reuse their work.

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk