[Koha] z39.50 searches (newbie question)

David Williams dwilliams at computerpark.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 19:48:12 NZST 2004

Hi

Please forgive such a basic question, but am I right in thinking that the z39.50
tool will retrieve biblio data when searching on a bar code/isbn? (assuming
that Koha has been configured with the necessary module & the server's are
configured).

The reason I ask, is that a school I am planning on installing Koha in have seen
the java based 'Readerware' package, which searches on the web for a bar code &
then populates the (hsql) db with the required info.
Although this package is pleasant on the eye and very easy to use, I really
don't want to advocate a closed source, proprietary package which is nowhere
near as powerful as Koha (for reasons which I'm sure are obvious here).
It's just that the point & scan simplicity really appeals to the school, hence
my question on z39.50.

Lastly, and this is really embarrassing, I can't seem to locate the z39.50
search dialog within Koha! I've set up a couple of servers in the parameters
section, but can't remember in which section the search tool is (I have
installed Koha with all required modules). Sorry for being sooo lame.

Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards

Dave.

EMail: dwilliams at computerpark.co.uk

This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you
by Computer Park Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and
have received it in error, please notify us via the email
address or telephone number below, and then delete it from
your mailbox.

Email: mailbox at computerpark.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1536 417155
Fax: +44 (0) 1536 417566

Head Office:
Computer Park Ltd, Broughton Grange, Headlands, Kettering
Northamptonshire NN15 6XA

Registered in England: 3022961.

Registered Office:
6 North Street, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4AL