[Koha] screen-scraper for copy cataloging

chuck mccallum mccalluc at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 14:00:18 NZST 2004

This is not directly related to Koha, but I thought it
might be of interest to some list members. Sorry to be
a bother.

I've written a perl script to help with copy
cataloging small collections (it's at
http://geocities.com/mccalluc/ ). It works as a proxy
server running on the local machine, so you can browse
a large catalog (the regexps work for the library of
congress), and once you've found the record you want,
tell the proxy to grab it, and it will parse through
the html and make a MARC::Record. I've got two
versions of the script up: one just dumps the record
as_formatted() to a file. The other is designed to
work with a set of FileMaker databases (which are
included in the tar.gz), and once it has the Record
object it goes ahead and exports it to the database so
that you can confirm that nothing got mangled. Let me
know if this is useful, or if you have problems
getting it to work.

=====
-- Chuck McCallum