[Koha] LC number : solution in 2.2

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 28 09:01:01 NZST 2004

Tuesday, April 27, 2004   15:50 CDT

Hi, Paul,

Your solution --

> Here is the solution I propose for LC and any other callnumber :
> * a field has already been added in items table. It's called
itemcallnumber.
> * this field will be "connected" to : biblio dewey OR LoC number OR
> manual & local classification. if connected to dewey or LoC, it will
> automatically be filled.
>
> So every library can have it's own callnumber system.

-- sounds good to me.

I just want to make sure I understand though: will we still be able (in
MARC21 terms) to have a 050 tag with the original LC-assigned call number
**separate** from the number we choose and assign for our own catalogue??

I know that sounds strange, but sometimes one needs to correct LC (shrieks
of horror; gasps at impudence) or other copy, as in the military library
where I worked on contract, but we still wanted to have the original number
there, if for no other reason than to justify the time we were spending in
classification. Many ILS also allow for something similar so that one can
retain original classification information in case one wants to revert or
adopt another system later, or just for sharing purposes.

> For 2.0 I've no other suggestion than the workaround suggested here. The
> dmoses one being the best, imho.

Way to go, Don!! :-)

> NOTE : why put the callnumber in items & not in biblio you may ask ?
> it's because some libraries may have 2 differents callnumbers for 2
> items of the same biblio. Sounds silly (& quite old), but exists. And
> you can't ask a 100 000 items library to reorganize it's shelves ;-)

Certainly not. What you explain happens a lot. And it's not such a bad thing
in an age of shared cataloguing. (For me, it seems quite familiar to as when
I started university, my uni library had 4 different catalogues, with many
items existing in two or more.)  Libraries are places where weird and
wonderful things happen all the time. ;-)

Amitiés,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte