[Koha] Newbie question

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 17 20:00:49 NZST 2004

Saturday, April 17, 2004     02:42 CDT

Hi, Ernesto,

> Please correct me if I'm wrong: to setup the marc fields to
> fill when you add a new biblio you have to tune and tweak
> the "Marc tag structure" in the "Parameters" section.

You are completely correct.

***As Stephen Hedges pointed out recently, even before that you must define
ITEM TYPES. *** Depending on what variety of MARC coding your university
uses, you may wish to restrict the item types to the AACR2R-2003 prescribed
GMD (or relevant SMD) lists.

When you define your tag structures, if you have questions about MARC format
requirements, there are now "Normas MARC" en español off the Library of
Congress MARC Standards page.

> Is there a way to create diferent tag structures so I have
> predefined templates for books, magazines, pictures,
> videos, cds, etc???

This question was asked a while ago, but I couldn't find an answer in the
files I keep. Anybody? This is quite common practice with many ILS.

> Another question, is there a spanish translation? (I couldn't
> find one). ...

Pate (Pat Eyler) would know, I'd think. He fielded a question a year and a
day ago from Martin providing the following answer:
>> Martin,
>>since no one else has answered you yet, I'll take a stab
>> at it. Most of the information about translation efforts is
>> kept at this page:
>> http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=TranslationTeams

>> I haven't seen much activity from the spanish team of late,
>> but that may be because they've been waiting for
>> templating issues to calm a bit. I'm CC:ing them on this
>> email, hopefully we can get the Spanish translation up to
>> speed in time for the 2.0.0 release.

There hasn't been much on it since then although there was a question out of
Cuba in February, the answer to which recommended subscription to the
Spanish-language Koha list at:  koha at es.koha.org

Wasn't there a question about this mid-2003, with a referral to a
Spanish-language translation Koha group (out of Mexico?)? Are there
up-to-date links of the wiki on the different translations being pursued?

I remember that Paul stated there was a way of getting just the text
elements that would need translating. Perhaps time to remind folks of where
that is.

Hope some of this helps a bit Ernesto.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas