[Koha] MARC opac searching

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Mar 24 21:01:11 NZST 2004

Michael Watson a écrit :

>Greetings,
>
>I am looking at customizing the public search interface of Koha 2.0.0RC4, and
>would like to confirm my understanding of how it works before charging into
>it.
>
>It looks to me as if Koha stores bibliographic records in a sort of
>"Koha-native", non-MARC format in the biblio table, as well as storing MARC
>records in the marc_subfield_table. When an end user performs an "advanced"
>search of the catalog on a newly-installed system, the page he sees is
>generated by opac-search.pl; the search form on that page has as its action
>the perl script opac-searchresults.pl.
>
>I'm still dissecting the flow of the program, but it looks like opac-search.pl
>and opac-searchresults.pl use the templates opac-search.tmpl and
>opac-searchresults.tmpl, in which I see references to functions in Search.pm.
>As I look at the sql statements in Search.pm, these functions do seem to hit
>only the "biblio" table. I also see a "SearchMarc.pm". I'm wondering if this
>is where the marc-searching functionality used in the staff (intranet)
>portion of Koha is hidden.
>
>If I wanted to modify Koha so that, for example, the publicly available
>interface does all author searches against 100 | a and 110 | a in the
>marc_subfield_table , instead of simply against the author field in the
>"biblio" table, am I correct in concluding that what I need to do is to edit
>opac-searchresults.pl, opac-searchresults.tmpl, and possiblly SearchMarc.pm?

Perfect analysis. But be careful, you may work on things that are
already solved in CVS.
In CVS, the Search.pm is deprecated : SearchMarc is used everywhere and
uses always MARC tables. When working perfectly, we will change OPAC too.
In the future, every searches will be done on MARC tables.
It also has some nice new features.
pro :
* search always indexed
* hability to search on "similar" fields (author = 200, 700, 701, 702 in
UNIMARC, for example)
* hability to order the result
con :
* none ?

NOTE : you shouls subscribe koha-devel mailing list, & look for my mail
called "new features to tests", a few days ago

--
Paul POULAIN