[Koha] MARC opac searching

Michael Watson thornswabbler at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 14:43:19 NZST 2004

Greetings,

I am looking at customizing the public search interface of Koha 2.0.0RC4, and
would like to confirm my understanding of how it works before charging into
it.

It looks to me as if Koha stores bibliographic records in a sort of
"Koha-native", non-MARC format in the biblio table, as well as storing MARC
records in the marc_subfield_table. When an end user performs an "advanced"
search of the catalog on a newly-installed system, the page he sees is
generated by opac-search.pl; the search form on that page has as its action
the perl script opac-searchresults.pl.

I'm still dissecting the flow of the program, but it looks like opac-search.pl
and opac-searchresults.pl use the templates opac-search.tmpl and
opac-searchresults.tmpl, in which I see references to functions in Search.pm.
As I look at the sql statements in Search.pm, these functions do seem to hit
only the "biblio" table. I also see a "SearchMarc.pm". I'm wondering if this
is where the marc-searching functionality used in the staff (intranet)
portion of Koha is hidden.

If I wanted to modify Koha so that, for example, the publicly available
interface does all author searches against 100 | a and 110 | a in the
marc_subfield_table , instead of simply against the author field in the
"biblio" table, am I correct in concluding that what I need to do is to edit
opac-searchresults.pl, opac-searchresults.tmpl, and possiblly SearchMarc.pm?

Thanks,

Mike Watson
thornswabbler at earthlink.net