[Koha] Z39.50client won't give up searching

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jan 6 21:43:14 NZDT 2004

MJ Ray a écrit :

> On 2004-01-05 15:37:24 +0000 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> With the daemon, it's asynchronous, so you can have answers in 2 minuts.
>> that's the main reason of the daemon.
>
> How many Z39.50 servers do most people use? Is it impossible to write
> an asynchronous CGI? These are design questions, so please reply to
> -devel if you want.

z3950 client is used for 2 differents things :
* quick cataloguing : feature used for Koha.
* "true multi-cataloguing search". the z3950 standard is/should be 1st
used to find a given book in more than 1 catalogue. Koha doesn't handle
this feature yet. But when it will, the asynch. daemon will be more &
more important : some libraries have 10+ links with other libraries.
Thus, if you search "The theory of mathematical structures", that is
very rare (& may not exist, i just invented it :-D ), you search in 10+
libraries, and may have only 1 positive result.

>> if you setup your webserver timeout low (something like 10 seconds)
>> the daemon becomes mandatory.
>
> If you set your timeout that low, I think you are likely to have worse
> problems unless you have a fast machine. The CGI could just return
> whatever answers come back in <10 seconds. Is it reasonable to use the
> daemon by default just to give better support to odd setups?

If you do so, it means you tell the CGI what is apache timeout. Quite
dirty imho.
Anyway, I agree that the daemon must be improved.

--
Paul POULAIN