[Koha] 090 Fields

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Tue Sep 9 12:22:52 NZST 2003

Greg Lambert/Amigos said:
> As I was reviewing the bulkmarcimport I noticed that the 090 MARC field is
> used by Koha as the ITEMTYPE fields.
>
> In the MARC data I am importing, the 090 "a" and "b" subfields are
> assigned
> local LC call numbers.
>
> Since Koha assigns  "a" as Koha Itemtype (NR)
>                                          "b" as Koha Dewey Subclass (NR)
>                                          "c" as Koha biblionumber (NR)
>                                          "d" as Koha biblioitemnumber (NR)
>
> What will happen to my original 090a and 090b fields?  Will they still be
> in the database?  If so, will this cause item "issues"?
>
> My limited cataloging knowledge tells me that the 001 field is used for
> the
> item number information (at least in the colleges I've worked).  Is that
> not the case with MARC21?
>

> Thanks!
> -Greg

Hmmm.  Do you mean your existing MARC records use an 090 field?  Koha has
to store some important non-MARC information, primarily the biblionumber,
biblioitemnumber and the itemtype, in the MARC record in order to
interface with the "old" Koha databases.  The 090 tag was chosen because
neither MARC21 nor Unimarc define any use for this tag, so it was
considered to be "safe."  If you have existing MARC records that have data
in an 090 tag, then you have a problem.  You could move the data to a new
tag using MARC::Record.

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA