[Koha] Re: koha 1.2.3 still requiring constant login/authentification

Matthias & Melanie Kasimir <wahr at epost.de> genesis at gmx.net
Wed Aug 20 22:15:40 NZST 2003

Hi Owen, hello koha-gurus!

I don't care how koha "knows" who is authenticated, but it must be
persistent between pages of the librarian's module. I wondered what
reason the cookies were set for all the time, because one can safely
assume that lots of users switch off cookies. Therefore I would
appreciate an authentification scheme whithout cookies, but I do not
know how to switch it on.

Does the new version of koha (2.0.x) not have any authentification-
related problems? If that is true I would just suffer the ordeal of
installing koha once again and install that version. Production work
was not possible with this version anyway, since no one logs in at
every screen when not held at gunpoint.

> I wasn't paying very close attention to this thread because we haven't
> seen problems with cookies and can't get cookie-based authentication
> working in the 2.0.0-pre2-R2 intranet anyway.  But today I realized
> that users of Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6 (Windows) are not retaining
> their home branch/printer settings.  I've checked Explorer's security
> settings in both cases and confirmed that the browser *should* be
> accepting the cookies.  And I've checked for the cookie in Explorer's
> cookies folder and found nothing.

I configured IE6 and Mozilla 1.4 to accept cookies for a test. It did
not help.

> Could there be a problem with the way Koha sets cookies in general?
> Something quirky about how Internet Explorer treats the cookies Koha
> tries to set?  I wonder if there's a tool for viewing current
> per-session cookies in Explorer?

Being new to koha and cookie-problems I do not know and pass this
question to the gurus.

Thanks for all suggestions and help!

Mat