[Koha] Please Clarify My Understanding of Data Upgrade Process
maynord at terracom.net
Sun Aug 17 05:32:03 NZST 2003
Dear Koha Folks:
Our Library is preparing for the upgrade from 1.2.3 to 2.0. I have
2.0-pre installed on a separate machine, with koha 2.0-pre up and
running - no data. Our 1.2.3 machine is still operative, but the Z3950
tool has stopped working. Our data is safe, and I have made a backup of
it using the mysql tool. My hope is to transfer the data from the 1.2.3
machine to the new koha 2.0 machine. However, I understand that the two
formats are not the same, 2.0 using the MARC record format. So far, I
have the following understanding/misunderstanding of the upgrade process---
1) There is currently no "dedicated" tool for data upgrade from 1.2.3 to
2) The Z3950 tool in 2.0-pre is not yet operative, although some folks
may have had some luck "tweaking" it.
3) John Voth has offered a program that will download MARC records from
the LOC, if the ISBN number is given.
4) MARC records can be imported into Koha 2.0-pre using
bulkmarcimport.pl, but this should not be used unless the books are
actually available in the library. Bulkmarcimport.pl does not import
into the breeding farm.
5) If I have a commercial CD full of MARC records, bulkmarcimport.pl
will not work for the reason in #4.
6) If I had a way of converting the old data to MARC format, I could
import into 2.0 by using bulkmarkimport.pl
I am sure there is much I am missing here. Any clarification would be
most helpful, as I have the task of putting our Koha in good shape for
the school librarian to use. So far, I have not yet figured out a
clear way to proceed...
More information about the Koha