[Koha] MARC importing tool?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Aug 16 00:25:06 NZST 2003

On 2003-08-15 12:49:46 +0100 Wolfgang Pichler
<wolfgang.pichler at ivv.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>> Can you spell out exactly what documents you need?  Maybe then
>> someone
>> who knows the relevant part can start to contribute them.
> field of work could/would be : consistent import of existing data
> (the whole old working library -> working koha library - not just
> biblio breeding :-)

Existing data from what?

> found a visualized RD-scheme at
> http://irref.mine.nu/user/dchud/koha-scheme/

That URL doesn't answer me just now, so I can't comment.

[...]
> as stated before a definitive list of calculated (when,how,... nasty
> questions, i admit,... :-) vs. untouched "bare" legacy data would be
> great.
> i ever some "design" was applied, this could be no problem, but koha
> seems to be some grown beast with different code-quality and maybe no
> one remembers the old assumptions any more :-)

OK, I asked you to restate it because I didn't understand the first
time.  I still don't understand.  Can you rephrase/expand?

Koha is forged in the field, so sometimes there are rough edges.  This
is no different to most software, but they aren't concealed in Koha,
so we need to work on smoothing them off.  I only did a few software
engineering courses at uni and I know there are things in Koha that
aren't what they should be.  But we must prioritise.  Right now, a
mostly working and complete 2.0 is needed.  We've been in feature
freeze too long already.

> so i do not expect some kind of petri-net, but if koha is a
> multi-developer-effort, at least some negotiated interfaces could be
> documented in some descriptive emails ...

See the koha-devel list archives at sourceforget and see if it has
what you need.

[...]
>> Did someone post a link to a cross-referenced source of koha, or did
>> imagine that?
> SO WHERE IS AT LEAST THE LATEST CVS ? sf ? looked at dates : seems,
> everyone keeps it's own copy and check-ins are rather rare.

YE GODS MAN, WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US?  Seriously: English probably
isn't the easiest language for this, but please be patient with us.

sf is latest CVS.  Maybe some developers are sitting on check-ins,
maybe August holidays are slowing things up.  If it doesn't move fast
enough for you, help.  If you send a patch to koha-devel and no-one
picks it up, I'll put my QA hat on and help it along.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884