[Koha] Modifications in PHP?

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Tue Aug 5 02:01:42 NZST 2003

> Finally, the general quality
> of PHP code seems to be a lot lower than Perl
> (and I'm often unimpressed
> by some Perl programming stunts).

Yeah, I hear some Toyota owners are bad drivers, so I'll never drive a Toyota
myself.

> But, there's
> already nothing to stop one
> from building a more changeable navigation system
> if one knows just enough
> perl to be able to change the C4::Template module

There are a couple advantages to some of us figuring out how to do it ourselves
in PHP.  First, those of us who are inclined already know PHP.  This saves the
rest of you from having to put up with 'low quality' Perl (or is low quality
Perl better than good quality PHP?).  Second, changes could be made to
individual Koha configurations without interfering with Koha-installed files.
In situations where the changes made were undesirable for Koha as a whole,
working 'on top' of Koha would allow those libraries to avoid worry about
changes when it came time to upgrade.

I hope if anyone else has ideas that the discussion can continue (although
maybe it should move off list).

  -- Owen

----
Nelsonville Public Library