[Koha] data import question - a few more thoughts

baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 26 07:28:25 NZST 2003

Friday, July 25, 2003	 14:22 CDT

David,

Thank you for the very helpful rejoinder.

I plead guilty to going with what was familiar to me. In all honesty,
working with the few systems that I have, I'd never seen the holdings
fields used and so hadn't looked into the 876. Of course, you are right.
Very neat. Thank you for pointing all of us in a better direction!

The FRBR stuff is also something I've yet to get into as keeping up with
MARC has always seemed enough of a challenge. ;-)

Thanks again,

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB  CANADA

see P.S. below

"Bigwood, David" <Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu> wrote:
>Steven,
>
>Most of this I agree with 100%. Well said, it deserves better
>distribution.
>
>However putting copy information into 037 is not the way I'd go. It is
>not easy to distinguish the different information for different copies
>there. Also, if we take a FRBR approach 037 seems to apply to the
>expression but acquisition information belongs at the item level.

P.S. when I'd used it that way, David, I'd taken advantage of its
repeatability and the note fields to clarify the relationship of the price
to the item level; nevertheless, you are right in what you say in
recommending the 876.

>Field 876 seems a better choice. That would tie the donated copy from
>1999 to one item and the 1998 copy costing 45.00 from a particular fund
>with another copy.
>
>Sincerely,
>David Bigwood
>bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
>Lunar & Planetary Institute

record (to indicate to patrons searching that an item is