[Koha] import question

Williams, Olwen - SAL Olwen.Williams at safeair.co.nz
Wed Jul 9 11:24:31 NZST 2003

Maybe I can shove my 2cents worth in here, since I was involved with the
database design.

There were sever reasons for the design.
Firstly it was good database normalisation to no repeat information.
Secondly it made reserves more flexible. If I reserve "Return of the King" I
don't care if it's a Hard or Softback.  So a reserve could give either
because the would be the same biblio, but different biblioitems.  On the
other hand I might require a large-print version, and in this case the
reserve would specify the particular biblioitem.

There may be two of those paperbacks.  These are each items, and when I take
one out the item is what's recorded.  It has an accession number.  When I
bring it back it records against the item code.

I had doubts about this structure at first, and would have made it 2 levels
based on my little library experience, but I was persuaded to do it this
way, and I think it is a good type of structure to use.

Olwen Williams
olwen.williams at safeair.co.nz