[Koha] Re: [Koha-devel] 2.0 release meeting

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Thu Jun 19 02:57:54 NZST 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 rachel at katipo.co.nz wrote:

> Hi
>
> > JUST BE SURE THE  lc CALL NUMBER  WITH LINES FOR IT IS DISCUSSED AND
> > IMPLEMENTED PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>
> I don't think that this is going to go into 2.0, although it is Pauls
> decision.

Paul has already stated that there won't be any new features in 2.0.0
(beyond 1.9.3).  That said, once 2.0.0 gets out the door, we'll be able to
start making incremental, evolutionary changes again.  I think that
making DCC/LCC an option is a very reasonable goal for a 2.0.1 or 2.0.2
release.  (Again, this is really Paul's call, but there does seem a pretty
big demand.)

One way that a library that really wants this could ensure that it gets in
sooner rather than later, would be to code up the changes (or hire someone
else to) and give them back to the community.

Koha is Free Software, but it's free like a free puppy, not free like free
beer.

> At the moment there are *lots* of features and enhancements that we would
> like to impliment, and we can't because there is a feature freeze on 2.0.
>
> SO what we want to do is to get 2.0 out the door as quickly as possible
> (NO NEW STUFF), so that then we can get people back working on new things.
>
> Adding this or any other new thing to 2.0 at this stage, would meant that
> instead of being a couple of weeks away, the release would be a couple of
> months away again.
>
> We are trying to "release early, release often", rather than load too many
> new (and therefor difficult to test) features into one release.
>
> Hope that makes sense, and if you've time to help with getting 2.0 bugs
> squashed etc then this stuff will come along sooner.

I can't echo this strongly enough.  If you see bugs, typos, missing
features, etc., please take a few moment to enter them into bugzilla.
(I'll point out that LCC/DCC isn't yet in the bugs database.)  The only
way we can track bugs and requests is with a tool like bugs.koha.org ...
If you know how to fix a bug, please register at bugs.koha.org, claim the
bug and fix it.

-pate