[Koha] Re: DDC and LC classification - 2 cents more

Albert P. Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 18 12:53:38 NZST 2003

Hi All!
    We may be missing the point with this discussion. Firstly, while DDC
uses mostly a single Classification Number that could fit on a single line
(There are a few cases, as with Shakespeare, where an additional line with a
special additional code is used to bring out a specific play), a Call Number
is not equal to a Classification Number. The Call Number on a book or other
item is intended to assist in the location of items where they have been
stored (typically books on shelves), however the Classification Number is
just a part of the whole Call Number.  As Steven mentions below, most
libraries add prefixes to indicate shelving locations and add an additional
line to indicate the Author or Biographee.  The Dewey Number can vary in
length from 2 to probably 20 characters, and in such cases, often the number
will be split between more than one line (average spine labels are only
about 10 characters wide).

    In the case of LC Classification, Call numbers usually have 4 lines -
two for Classification, one for Date (the three Steven has below) and most
often a line for Cutter Number (a code for Author similar in function to the
Dewey Author line).  Here, too, there may be a prefix to make up the entire
Call Number.

    In both cases, the classification number tries to group materials on
like subjects together so that they are easier to locate.

    I _don't_ see, however, the need within koha to give the older non-MARC
data structure the additional structures needed to store LC Call Numbers,
when any of the MARC structures can do so very well - indeed the required
subfields are already in place. I would be surprised if a library that is
using LC Classification would want to establish their database in other than
MARC structure, especially when we realize that the source of records that
the typical academic and scientific libraries that use LC would use to build
their catalogues are most likely to be in MARC structure to start with. Why
convert the data to a new structure when koha will store it in the original
structure to start with?

    I understand that some librarians may not particularly care to use MARC,
I used to be one of them! But it is the de facto standard for the exchange
of bibliographic data. It does have all the fields and subfields already
defined to do the job for us. It has built-in flexibility to meet any
special needs we may have. It doesn't take too long to come to appreciate
that the MARC21 structure does let you do whatever you need to. It only
requires that you study a bit to get used to it at first. Non cataloguers
likely would think I'm a bit batty for even wanting to!;-)  More
importantly, however, why re-invent the wheel?

    The MARC21 structure provides for this by having several subfields
devoted to that specific information.  As
long as the fields can contain enough data (I suggest 16 characters (maybe
20) to account for even the longest Dewey likely to be used with 12 places
after the decimal , or possibly for a complete surname which is sometimes
entered in the case of a biography [some names could well exceed the 16
chars]). {MARC structure gives a maximum field length for any field of 9999
characters, so each subfield could be greater than the minimums I mention
above .}Those subfields are:

Tag 852  with subfields -

$h - Classification part (NR) (Dewey or LC Classification numbers, such
Alpha Classification as E for Easy, B for Biography,etc.)
$i - Item part (R)  (Used for author letters, cutter numbers, or sometimes
biographees last names)
$k - Call number prefix (R)  (Like REF for reference collections, etc)
$m - Call number suffix (R)
$t - Copy number (NR)

    [This information comes from the MARC Standards page at the Library of
Congress Web page with my comments in parentheses after the designation of
repeatable or non repeatable]

    The MARC structure, with subfields k, i, and m as repeatable does take
care of places to store the Call Numbers appropriately.  The only problem I
can see is that the biblioitems table needs to be able to store the
information
in the same way, and koha needs to be able to display the repeatable
subfields appropriately also. Display order would normally be:
k, h, i, m, t.

    Display has always been a problem  with fields that may be longer that
would fit on a single line of a label, hence the addition of break
characters that you may see sometimes as apostrophes in the middle of  long
Dewey  Class numbers.

    Let's make sure, however, that when it comes time to display or print
the Call Numbers, whether with LC or DDC, that we have stored in koha, that
we can do so properly, and would be able to actually print new spine labels
for books or other items.
This would be a better use of programming time, imho, than to add additional
structures to the non-MARC structured database in koha for LC users.

    That's my 2 cents worth!

Regards,
Al Calame

Library Automation Consultant,