[Koha] Barcode scanners and Macs

Thierry Delettre delettre at walterscott.ensmp.fr
Tue May 13 04:11:13 NZST 2003

Le mercredi, 7 mai 2003, à 06:14 Europe/Paris, AMSEA Computer/Web Tech
a écrit :

> Anyone here using a barcode scanner with a fairly new Macintosh
> computer,
> i.e., one that was made after they dropped the ADB ports and went to
> USB for
> all their peripherals? And you're using OS 9 and/or OS X?

We use both USB and ADB (with iMate USB adapters) barcode scanners with
OS 9 and X, and we don't even need a special driver.

The only problem we noticed was that ADB barcode scanners that worked
directly on the ADB port of a blue-white G3 under Mac OS 9 refused to
work (even with an ADB/USB adaptor,  which works with all other USB
Macs) after the Mac was updated to Mac OS X. For this one, we had to
buy an USB scanner.

> The guy at Custom Sensors (http://csensors.com) just said their
> scanners
> aren't (yet) compatible with newer Macs, and he doesn't know when the
> manufacturer might have updated software. They have some ADB type
> scanners
> that are supposedly Mac compatible, anyone happen to be using one of
> those
> on a newer Mac with an ADB-to-USB adapter? I have no idea if that
> would even
> work.

The best thing would be to try those scanners. I have seen many
products that worked with Macs but their manufacturers/distributors had
not bothered to try them on Macs and they just assumed they were not
compatible.

Thierry D
---

Thierry Delettre
Bibliothèque de l'Ecole des Mines de Paris
email : thierry.delettre at ensmp.fr