[Koha] Barcode info needed

Erik Stainsby eriksta at vpl.ca
Tue May 6 08:40:18 NZST 2003

Hi George,

This will only be a short and partial answer, but here goes:
you may not be able to use the 1-6500 idea I'm afraid.  The problem lies
with checksums.

Barcode specifications name a method of calculating and recreating a
particular set of numbers.  A given named spec uses a particular
algorithm to generate long lists of numbers.  All the members of the list
(and there will be many more *not* in the list than in the list) will
have certain mathematical characteristics in common.

Because of this common set of characteristics, it is possible to say "This
particular number is (or is not) valid under the current scheme;
therefore we will assume the book (or library card) it is attached to is
(or is not) one of ours (and not some other Library's)".

This is where my usefulness trails out ... I'm not sure if Koha has
internally any preference for particular barcoding algorithms.

Hope this helps a bit,

- Erik