[Koha] Book info in database

Mike Hansen mwhansen at hmc.edu
Tue Apr 22 19:43:27 NZST 2003

Hello,

	I will do what I can to try to answer your question. I am not sure what
you mean specifically by book information, but here is, to the best of
my knowledge, how Koha store the book info. in the database.  There are
three major tables that hold book information:
	biblio:  This table holds the information about "works" such as the
author, title, and copyright date.
	biblioitems: This table holds the information about various
"manifestations" of works.  These would be things such as an ISBN
number, year of publication, number of pages, etc.  Each biblioitem
corresponds to one of the entries in the biblio table.
	items: This table contains information about an item (an actual
physical copy of a biblio/biblioitem).  These are things such as price,
barcode, branch, date last borrowed, etc.
	Now, it is when we get to the MARC stuff that I start getting a little
uncomfortable (so Paul, if I say anything that is wrong, please correct
me. Thanks).  In the marc_subfield_structure table are all of the
subfields for various MARC tags.  There is a column for each of the
subfields (kohafield) which serves as a link between the rows of biblio,
biblioitems, and items and the MARC records.  The various functions that
are deal with this process are found in C4/Biblio.pm.
	I hope this helps you out a bit.

Mike

--
Mike Hansen <mwhansen at hmc.edu>