[Koha] MARC Bulk Koha Import Perl

Johan Ugander johan at ugander.com
Thu Mar 20 16:01:46 NZST 2003

Hello Kohaers,

I'm trying to set up Koha for our meager library here at Deep
Springs, 25k volumes or so, and we're currently going through the
process of building a digital register (essentially replacing an
abandoned collection of poorly kept records)...which has been timely,
but with lots of help we're more than half way through. However, this
register was built on some assumptions that I'm hoping hoping hoping
are true.

1) Is there is a scriptable way (even if i have to write it myself)
of getting full MARC records into a database from a tabulated list of
ISBNs, LCNs, Titles, Authors, Publishers, or some combination there
of? This would essentially involving querying the Library of Congress
database directly somehow. Through a perl module? hmm.

There is an old MARC database lying around on a CD that has ~15k of
the records, but we don't know which ones...heh heh heh. This place
suffers from a horribly short institutional memory. But enough about
us.

So while this first step is a pretty big step, I am also very
interested in getting this second step working indifferent of step 1
since we _do_ have the ~15k records in MARC.

2) Doing a Bulk import of MARC into Koha.

This I assume you all know a lot about, and I just need to be pointed
in the right direction. I'm a fairly proficient perler, so I should
be able to figure it out...I've read about something called
bulkmarcimport? is this in full operation?

The first issue is one I would greatly appreciate help with, though
it is something I need to figure out pre-Koha, and is not necessarily
the forte of this list.

Of course, any and all help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Johan Ugander
Deep Springs College