[Koha] Install seemed fine, but cannot access server.

STEPHEN MCCAY DURHAM smd271 at psu.edu
Tue Feb 4 07:54:47 NZDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up Koha to run a very small library, approximately 2,000
books.  I am running Gentoo Linux, the system was just put built and  after
installing all the prerequisites for Koha I then installed Koha.  The install
went fine, but once the install was completed I restarted the servers, mysql
and apache.  If I go to localhost the apache page shows up stating that the
server is running.  If I try either my ip address with :80 or :8080 I get the
errror 403 Forbidden.  I am sure that this is something very simple and I have
been looking through the archives with no luck though.  Frustration has now set
in and I am posting this email in hopes of a positive response.  Included below
is the apache.conf file, I have included the file in its entirety, just in case
there are any problems.
Thank you,
Stephen Durham

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-www/apache/files/conf/apache.conf,v 1.2
2002/05/04 23:23:01 woodchip Exp $
### Main Configuration Section
### You really shouldn't change these settings unless you're a guru
###
ServerType standalone
ServerRoot /etc/apache
#ServerName localhost
#LockFile /etc/httpd/httpd.lock
PidFile /var/run/apache.pid
ScoreBoardFile /etc/apache/apache.scoreboard
ErrorLog logs/error_log
LogLevel warn
ResourceConfig /dev/null
AccessConfig /dev/null
DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs

### Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
###
###
LoadModule mmap_static_module modules/mod_mmap_static.so
LoadModule env_module         modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule config_log_module  modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule agent_log_module   modules/mod_log_agent.so
LoadModule referer_log_module modules/mod_log_referer.so
LoadModule mime_magic_module  modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule mime_module        modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule status_module      modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule info_module        modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule includes_module    modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule autoindex_module   modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule cgi_module         modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule asis_module        modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule imap_module        modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule action_module      modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule speling_module     modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module     modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule proxy_module       modules/libproxy.so
LoadModule alias_module       modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module     modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule access_module      modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module        modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule anon_auth_module   modules/mod_auth_anon.so
LoadModule dbm_auth_module    modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule db_auth_module     modules/mod_auth_db.so
LoadModule digest_module      modules/mod_digest.so
LoadModule cern_meta_module   modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module     modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module     modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module   modules/mod_usertrack.so
LoadModule example_module     modules/mod_example.so
LoadModule unique_id_module   modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module	modules/mod_vhost_alias.so

#  Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
#  (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
#  [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE UPDATE THIS, TOO]
ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_mmap_static.c
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_log_agent.c
AddModule mod_log_referer.c
AddModule mod_mime_magic.c
AddModule mod_mime.c
AddModule mod_negotiation.c
AddModule mod_status.c
AddModule mod_info.c
AddModule mod_include.c
AddModule mod_autoindex.c
AddModule mod_dir.c
AddModule mod_cgi.c
AddModule mod_asis.c
AddModule mod_imap.c
AddModule mod_actions.c
AddModule mod_speling.c
AddModule mod_userdir.c
AddModule mod_proxy.c
AddModule mod_alias.c
AddModule mod_rewrite.c
AddModule mod_access.c
AddModule mod_auth.c
AddModule mod_auth_anon.c
AddModule mod_auth_dbm.c
AddModule mod_auth_db.c
AddModule mod_digest.c
AddModule mod_cern_meta.c
AddModule mod_expires.c
AddModule mod_headers.c
AddModule mod_usertrack.c
AddModule mod_example.c
AddModule mod_unique_id.c
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_setenvif.c
AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c

###
### Global Configuration
###
# Splitting up apache.conf into two files makes it possible to support
# multiple configurations on the same serer.  In commonapache.conf
# you keep directives that apply to all implementations and in this
# file you keep server-specific directives.  While we don't yet have
# multiple configurations out-of-the-box, this allows us to do that
# in the future easily.
Include conf/commonapache.conf

###
### IP Address/Port
###
#BindAddress *
Port 80
Listen 80

###
### Log configuration Section
###
# Single logfile with access, agent and referer information
# This is the default, if vlogs are not defined for the main server
CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!VLOG
# If VLOG is defined in conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf, we use this entry
#CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/apachesplitlogfile" vhost env=VLOG

###
### Virtual Hosts
###
# We include different templates for Virtual Hosting. Have a look in the
# vhosts directory and modify to suit your needs.
#Include conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf
#Include conf/vhosts/DynamicVhosts.conf
#Include conf/vhosts/VirtualHomePages.conf

###
### Performance settings Section
###
#
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
#
Timeout 300

#
# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
#
KeepAlive On

#
# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
#
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

#
# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
# same client on the same connection.
#
KeepAliveTimeout 15

#
# Server-pool size regulation.  Rather than making you guess how many
# server processes you need, Apache dynamically adapts to the load it
# sees --- that is, it tries to maintain enough server processes to
# handle the current load, plus a few spare servers to handle transient
# load spikes (e.g., multiple simultaneous requests from a single
# Netscape browser).
#
# It does this by periodically checking how many servers are waiting
# for a request.  If there are fewer than MinSpareServers, it creates
# a new spare.  If there are more than MaxSpareServers, some of the
# spares die off.  The default values are probably OK for most sites.
#
MinSpareServers 4
MaxSpareServers 10

#
# Number of servers to start initially --- should be a reasonable ballpark
# figure.
#
StartServers 4

#
# Limit on total number of servers running, i.e., limit on the number
# of clients who can simultaneously connect --- if this limit is ever
# reached, clients will be LOCKED OUT, so it should NOT BE SET TOO LOW.
# It is intended mainly as a brake to keep a runaway server from taking
# the system with it as it spirals down...
#
MaxClients 150

#
# MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
# allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
# as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
# libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems, this
# isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
# in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
# or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.
#
# NOTE: This value does not include keepalive requests after the initial
#       request per connection. For example, if a child process handles
#       an initial request and 10 subsequent "keptalive" requests, it
#       would only count as 1 request towards this limit.
#
MaxRequestsPerChild 500

# Ports to listen to for Koha

Listen 8080

# NameVirtualHost is used by one of the optional configurations detailed below

#NameVirtualHost 11.22.33.44

# KOHA's OPAC Configuration
<VirtualHost 146.186.96.122:80>
   ServerAdmin smd271 at psu.edu
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/opac/htdocs
   ServerName 146.186.96.122
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /usr/local/koha/opac/cgi-bin/
   ErrorLog logs/opac-error_log
   TransferLog logs/opac-access_log
   SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules"
   Options +Includes
   AddHandler server-parsed .html

</VirtualHost>

# KOHA's INTRANET Configuration
<VirtualHost 146.186.96.122:8080>
   ServerAdmin smd271 at psu.edu
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/intranet/htdocs
   ServerName 146.186.96.122
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ "/usr/local/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/"
   ErrorLog logs/koha-error_log
   TransferLog logs/koha-access_log
   SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules"
   Options +Includes
   AddHandler server-parsed .html

</VirtualHost>

# If you want to use name based Virtual Hosting:
#   1. remove the two Listen lines
#   2. replace 146.186.96.122:80 wih your.opac.domain.name
#   3. replace ServerName 146.186.96.122 wih ServerName your.opac.domain.name
#   4. replace 146.186.96.122:8080 wih your intranet domain name
#   5. replace ServerName 146.186.96.122 wih ServerName
your.intranet.domain.name
#
# If you want to use NameVirtualHost'ing (using two names on one ip address):
#   1.  Follow steps 1-5 above
#   2.  Uncomment the NameVirtualHost line and set the correct ip address

<Directory /usr/local/koha/intranet>
    AuthUserFile /etc/kohaintranet.pass
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Koha Intranet (for librarians only)"
    Require  valid-user
</Directory>