[Koha] Some question: postgres, italian, ...

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Sat Jun 29 00:03:17 NZST 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Marco Gaiarin wrote:

Hi Marco

> I'm looking for a library management software for my organization, so
> i've found koha. Interesting... ;-)))

I'm glad to hear you've found us.  I hope you'll stick with us.  There was
recently another Italian looking at using Koha.  I'm not sure how far he's
gone so far.  Perhaps this request will bring up some additional interest.

> Some question:
>
> 1) there's just a translation in Italian?! Can i contribute this?!

There is not yet, I'd be happy to see one started though.  You are
certainly welcome to help out with the effort.

> 2) i want to use koha with postgres, but i need assurance that work
> with potgres. I've had experience with other software written for mysql
> that in theory work with pgsql but in practice all sources have to be
> rewritten. ;(

Again, people have mentioned postgres as a desired platform.  I don't know
that anyone has done more than mention it.  I'd like to see Koha be DB
independent.  Are you interested in helping with this effort?

> 3) In any case need to be rewritten the schema. Please, don't distribute
> the schema in mysql dump format, is not portable and are full of
> (nonstandard) SQL instruction.
> Someone have just rewritten the schema for postgres?! Basically have to
> be rewritten the KEY instances (to CREATE INDEX) and the auto_increment
> (to serial).

Is this something we could write a script for?  (It sounds like it.)
Could you give us a clear example to follow?

> Again: PG support real referential integrity (FOREIGN KEY). There's
> somewhere a E/R schema that explain referential integrity, or can i add
> referential integrity (if someone exlain me the schema?!).
>

> 4) I'm new to library related problem, but seems that the MARC format
> is a standard in this field. Someone know if this also rule for
> european country?!

My understanding is that MARC is also a standard in Europe.  I don't know
how close this is to the US MARC standards.  Paul (who also answered your
email) is both European and in charge of the 1.4 release, which will be
MARC enabled.  He may be a good contact to work these issues with.

I hope you'll help us make Koha a viable option for you.

thanks,
-pate