[Koha] 1.2.0 Problems

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Sat Jun 22 04:30:14 NZST 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, ed sharpe wrote:

> A suggestion would be that before release took place it was  test installed
> on a number  of versions of Linux and not released until it  had  a non
> interverention clean install  in these test environments. if it has to be
> even slightly hand tweaked it should not be allowed to fly.

Ed, this would be a wonderful place to get to.  It will take time (and
some $$$) to do so though.  In addition to finding a variety of platforms
to do the testing on, we also need to find volunteers to do the testing
(or someone to pay us to pay staff to do do it).  We'll also need to build
a test harness that we can use to verify that the install went as planned.
Once those are handled, it will be important to account for differences in
the way some tools get installed.  (How many ways can apace be installed
on a server?)

Given all of the difficulties, I hope that this is one area that emerging
koha support companies can/will take on.  I also hope it is an area where
libraries (or other interested parties) will be willing to step up and
commit resources.

> what needs to be done is to determine which environments this should be I
> suppose.

We could build a wishlist, but since we're talking about volunteers, I
think we're going to end up supporting whatever people are willing to work
on (probably Red Hat and Debian at first), or people are willing to pay
people to work on (I'm not sure what systems fall into this category).

-pate