[Koha] Koha post-installation questions on how to use the system

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Thu Apr 25 21:03:52 NZST 2002

> Yaogeng Cheng wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just finish installing the koha (v. 1.1.1) system, and two web sites
> (koha and opac) are up and running. However, I couldn't find any
> documentation on how to use this system.

There have been a lot of changes since 1.1.1 was released - If you are
comfortable using CVS, then you'd probably be better off downloading and
installing latest stuff.... but certainly not necessary... at least not
necessary while you are still finding your way around with Koha.

Work is currently being done on a new relaes and new documentation -
Until then, this may help:

 http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaProject

> Do I have to populate into
> database some basic data so that I can run it.

Yes you do need some data to make it work - bu not very much.

> If I do have to, what kind of information should I populate?

There is a (big) example file available for download from
koha.sourceforge.net - There is a small smaple in the mail archives

 http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=SampleData

> I don't know how to input the CD(our company created by ourself) info
> into the system. On Test drive the Koha Intranet  acquisitions page, I
> can see there is a link Enter book with no ISBN, but my acquisitions
> page is totally different with it. I can see the Test drive the Koha
> Intranet use the perl script called addbooks.pl, but I could not find
> this file at all in my koha v1.1.1 file structures.

You can import small amounts of data using koha... If you are using the
1.1.1 default distribution then you will need to inport using the
aquisitions menu with "normal" option set ins the "systempreferences"
table - I think that is the default anyhow?

To import bulk data you probaly want to by-pass Koha import direct into
MySQL.  Do you have tab-delimited files that contain your data? What
kind of data are you trying to import - What format is it in?

> I also found the circulation page is different with the Test drive the
> Koha Intranet . Mine asks me to select a branch and a printer and them
> submit query. I could not find any branch and printer list at all.
> What is the branck and printer for, and how can I add them to the
> database?

I think koha wants to create a cookie to hold printer informatuion when
you first run koha acquisitions - You can set up printers by creating a
mysql table in koha if it is missing - information and how to do that
can be found on the same link given above in this message (wiki
KohaProject link).

Let us know how you go :^)

R.