[Koha] Installation Questions

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 20 18:32:45 NZST 2002

Hi Chris,

[--snip--]

Chris Cormack wrote:
> What we normally do is just
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
>
> In this case its the .html pages we want to parse so we can just go
>
> AddHandler server-parsed .html
>
> (Inside the <Directory> or <Location> block)
>
> (this means we dont have to chmod any files)
>
> Hope this makes sense

Yep understood - and it does make sense.

But...

As I understand it, by default, apache does not not look for SSI
commands in *.html because that slows down every access to every HTML
file.

On the other hand, if most koha *.html files are likely to contain
includes then that alone would not be significant. OTOH, I'm unsure as
to how that affects document caching... potential additional performance
degradation as perceived by end user due to absence of caching?

I guess the XBitHack option optimises performance (both caching and off
the server) at the expense of more complex configuration requirement on
the server admin.

As usual, I guess it's a question of trading off ease of configuration
against performance? But, for either option to work, most users will
need to change their httpd.conf configuration anyhow - so maybe it's
just enough to list the pros and cons and let each user make their own
choice :-)

BTW I noticed one other prob with the includes: Some of the tags are
malformed:

Instead of this:
<!--#element attribute=value attribute=value -->

there is this:
<!--#element attribute=value attribute=value>

which results in a "premature EOF"

I don't want you to get the wrong idea: I really don't know much about
this stuff -  just repeating what I've read in the docs :-)

R.