[Koha] patron book reviews/suggestions, desirable koha enhancement?

Emile Snyder esnyder at avamar.com
Wed Nov 21 14:31:35 NZDT 2001

Hello all,

I'm not involved with any library (other than as a patron of my local
county system), just lurking on the Koha list because I think it's a cool
project.  I was hoping that people who are involved with running koha in
real library settings could comment on the perceived pros and cons of a
"review and suggestions" enhancement to the koha database, a'la
amazon.com.

I have found myself increasingly using amazon.com as a source of feedback
about books in a variety of situations; both when I'm considering a book
to buy, or when I'm looking through our community library collection and
wondering what books to check out.

Having the reviews available is good, but I find the "people who liked
this book also liked XYZ" to be really addictive.  I can follow chains of
related books this way, reading reviews as I go, and find some interesting
things that I never would have come to on my own.

I realize that there is a fairly large critical mass of reviews that must
be present in a system before this really works, and I've been thinking
about various ways one could share review collections between libraries.
Before I get too into db schemas and appropriate SQL queries, are there
some downsides to having this in the system that people anticipate?  Or
different review'ish schemes that seem more helpful?

thanks,
-emile