[Koha] Introduction

Simon Blake simon at katipo.co.nz
Wed Aug 30 01:08:18 NZST 2000

Hi all

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 09:33:01PM +0800, Mark Tearle said:

> Nod, I'll fire a few questions off anyhow:
>
> 1) Is there an anonymous CVS repository setup for Koha?

We use CVS for all our in house development, so it would be a small step to
making an anonymous CVS access available to the bleeding edge folks, and
probablynot much further to provide write access to other developers, if
there is a need.

> 2) Is there a ROADMAP style document explaining the design so far?
>     Looking at Koha's table layout and my abandoned projects I notice
>     many similarities and a couple of differences.

Ahh, it's not a bad idea :-).

> 3) How do you see Koha evolving?

In the immediate future, the usual round of bugfixes and feature
enhancements, with a rewrite of the CDK circ module in slang almost ready to
go into testing.  There is a "phase two" getting underway shortly, which
will be focussing on enhancements to the OPAC (reading lists, renewel and
reserves via the web, maybe automated phone based IVR and notification), web
based cirulations (so that libraries can avoid the text based circulation
module if they want), better reporting, and a bunch of stuff I've probably
forgotten.  Il8n is also pretty urgent, so that we can have a Maori version
There's also a need (slightly left field) for an internet access management
system, so that we can give Internet access to library patrons, which I
suspect will get rolled into Koha, for ease of management.

Beyond that, who knows.  Likely to be related to whatever scratches our
itch, or whatever code is contributed, or whatever somebody convinces us is
valuable.

> 4) Is there a feature/wish list for Koha?

Probably the Librarians currently using it could speak to this better than I
- I'm sure it's enormous :-).

> There are undoubtedly more, but that's a start.

Keep 'em coming :-).

Cheers
Si

Simon Blake                                             simon at katipo.co.nz
Katipo Communications                                       +64 25 300 825