[Koha] Introduction - Plans for the Future

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Wed Aug 30 01:07:33 NZST 2000

Just thought I'd add my few cents

> 3) How do you see Koha evolving?

We're pretty well planning to take over the world :-)

We'd be keen also  to see Horowhenua Library Trust  lauded internationally
for being so generous as to pay for a system and then give it away!

Delusions of grandeur aside, we'd like to see a community of users develop
in New Zealand, so to get some more public and private libraries using it
here, and the same in other countries.

We'd especially love to have a community of developers/system
administrators  who are able to help each other and write new code, audit our
stuff etc, and that we would provide a repository for updates, releases etc,
like most of the big open source systems.

We are hoping that Bugzzilla has had enough changes recently that we can
get a copy running just  for this project so then you can see all the bugs and
enhancements already notified/requested etc.

> 4) Is there a feature/wish list for Koha?

Absoloutely - only about a mile long :-)

There are 2 groups of "wishers" at the moment - the ones from the library/s
that have it working, and those who would like added stuff before they can
consider using it.

We are focused on those for our current users, so they include fixing typo's,
improvements to the issues and returns/circulation module, tidy ups around
acquisisitons and perhaps more wholesale changes now its been used for a
bit, adding lots of memeber functionality to the OPAC, and still searching for
a great report writer.  Getting multi-lingual ability is something we're really
keen to see as well although it falls a bit outside of this "core business".

The "would use it if only" tend to be wanting MARC records, couple of
requests for ports to NT, language changes and similar - which we're hoping
for some help with.  There were a couple of other things that have slipped my
mind - which all seem like great ideas.

We have basically finished phase one of about 3 phases as identified by us
and Horowhenua library.

> There are undoubtedly more, but that's a start.

Always more :-)

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  025 300 825 or +64 04 389 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 7039, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand