[Kete] Installing Kete on Debian Lenny

John Billings john at nimhq.net
Wed May 13 23:30:52 NZST 2009

Hi Walter,

I pulled down the master branch, not sure what goes in the
zebradb/kete-zebra-servers.xml

There is this section here, I think I'm supposed to change:

<!-- [scheme:]host[:port][/databaseName] -->
         <!-- scheme: tcp, ssl, unix, http, sru? -->
<!-- look into changing private server to unix socket and how that
effects our acts_as_zoom stuff -->
<!-- private is limited to ONLY localhost for security, since passwords
are passed in clear text, i believe -->
<listen id="privateserver" >private_spec</listen>
<!-- this should catch with the @ wildcard, both localhost and any
outside ip interface -->
<listen id="publicserver" >public_spec</listen>

I see in the error message when I start zebra:

10:36:40-13/05 [server] Adding dynamic listener on private_spec id=1
10:36:41-13/05 [fatal] Failed to listen on private_spec
10:36:41-13/05 [server] Adding dynamic listener on public_spec id=2
10:36:41-13/05 [fatal] Failed to listen on public_spec
10:36:41-13/05 [server] Adding dynamic listener on tcp:@:9999 id=0
10:36:41-13/05 [server] Starting server zebrasrv pid=30893

It seems like both "public" and "private" fail to start, and some
default server is getting started.

After looking at those commented lines in the config, and the output
from the zebra startup I was able to guess the <listen id> lines should
look like:

<listen id="privateserver" >tcp:localhost:9902/private</listen>
<listen id="publicserver" >tcp:@:9901/public</listen>

When I tried that it looked like it started ok:

10:44:21-13/05 [server] Adding dynamic listener on
tcp:localhost:9902/private id=1
10:44:21-13/05 [server] Adding dynamic listener on tcp:@:9901/public id=2
10:44:21-13/05 [server] Starting server zebrasrv pid=31451

kete at kete:~/nim/zebradb$ lsof -i | grep zeb
zebrasrv 32050 kete    4u  IPv4 224517       TCP localhost:9902 (LISTEN)
zebrasrv 32050 kete    6u  IPv6 224520       TCP *:9901 (LISTEN)

Now it's starting to make sense to me.  I've never used Zebra before so
this is all new to me.

I went and edited the table at site/zoom_dbs/list and edited the public
port number back, I had changed it to 9999 to match where I saw Zebra
running before.

Then cd ..

kete at kete:~/nim$ rake zebra:start
(in /home/kete/nim)

Then:

kete at kete:~/nim$ rake zebra:load_initial_records RAILS_ENV='production'
(in /home/kete/nim)
  Initial record added to public zebra instance (OAI identifier:
oai:oai:New It Make!::bootstrap:Bootstrap:1).
  Initial record added to private zebra instance (OAI identifier:
oai:oai:New It Make!::bootstrap:Bootstrap:1).

And now I'm rewarded with some more docs to read on the front page :)

I was able to upload an audio file, and seems to be running fine.
Thanks for your help.  I'll run through the install again, and set up a
development site.  I plan to use kete as a website for the community
radio show I'm working on, seems like it's a good fit.

Best,
John