[Kete] Installing Kete on Debian Lenny

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Wed May 13 09:39:44 NZST 2009

Morning John,

We haven't run through a Lenny install yet.  Thanks for being a pioneer.

Notes below.

On May 12, 2009, at 10:21 PM, John Billings wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on getting kete running on a Lenny VPS.  Just following
> the
> Etch tutorial, I've managed to get it mostly installed, but stuck on
> configuring the site.  The site I'm working on is here:
>
> http://newitmake.org/
>

> Before this, I was having trouble with the Zebra integration.  It
> seems
> there was discrepancy somewhere about what port it should be on.  It
> appears to be running on port 9999:
>
> kete at kete:~$ lsof -i | grep zebra
> zebrasrv 1705 kete    4u  IPv6   2031       TCP *:9999 (LISTEN)

I suspect that some zebra initialization has failed and it does indeed
look to me like your kete site can't find the Zebra instance.
Probably the private one.

What branch of Kete's git repository are you running off of?  An
incompatibility with the latest Zebra may be the cause if you are
running Kete 1.1.  We are just about release 1.2 from the master
branch.  Please use the master branch if you aren't already.  You'll
probably want to start over (except required software) if you aren't
running off master already.

> In the administration interface, it had the "public" server on port
> 9901, I tried changing that here:
>
> http://newitmake.org/site/zoom_dbs/list
>
> Here is a cut/paste of the table there:
> ===
> Zoom Dbs
> Database name 	Description 	Host 	Port 	Zoom user 	Oai Pmh
> Repository Sets
>
> No Entries
> public 	Where we store our publicly searchable records (about topics,
> images, videos, etc.). 	localhost 	9999 	kete 	-
> private 	Where we store records that are only searchable to privileged
> Kete users (about topics, images, video, etc.). 	localhost 	9902
> kete 	-
> ===

> I followed the docs I found in zebradb/README to start up Zebra,
> when I
> start without daemonizing, I just noticed the private instance is not
> starting:
>
> kete at kete:~/nim/zebradb$ zebrasrv -f conf/kete-zebra-servers.xml

As mentioned in zebradb/README it is a bit out of date.  We'll edit
that today.  First up, kill that running zebra instance.

After that check that zebradb/conf/kete-zebra-servers.xml's listen
elements' values match what you have in your mysql database port
wise.  Edit till they do.
then from one directory up (your application root directory):

rake zebra:start

then

rake zebra:load_initial_records

Then try reloading the site's homepage.

Let me know how that goes.  Please post log/zebra.log if things are
still failing.

Cheers,
Walter