[Koha] best practice for indexing and re-indexing

Katrin Fischer katrin.fischer.83 at web.de
Sat Sep 14 05:55:22 NZST 2024

Hi Eric,

the search with Zebra and Elasticsearch only works when your records
include a unique identifier that links the record in the index with the
record in your database. This is achieved by adding the biblionumber to
the MARC record automatically. For MARC21 field 999 is used. These
fields and mappings should not be changed.

If you import records, the biblionumber will automatically be added. If
you want to carry over an identifier of your old system to Koha, in
MARC21 you could use 035$a with a prefix or 001/003.

You can't speed up the indexing process by adding anything to your MARC
data.

In general, indexing using Elasticsearch will be much quicker than using
Zebra for this number of records.

You can always do another full reindex, without deleting. But if you
load new improved records, you will need to reindex them again.

Hope that helps,

Katrin