[Koha] Connection timed out whenever I try a Z39.50 search

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Sun Oct 15 02:54:52 NZDT 2023

Hi Δημήτρης

You wrote:

 > Which ports should I check? No Z39.50 service is working, not even the
 > Library of Congress.

In Koha menu "Administration > Z39.50/SRU servers administration

you'll find the hostname/port for the Library of Congress are
lx2.loc.gov:210 - thus you could test if this host is accessible from
your own host:

$ telnet lx2.loc.gov 210
Trying 140.147.239.58...
Connected to lx2.loc.gov.
Escape character is '^]'.

$ nc -vz lx2.loc.gov 210
Connection to lx2.loc.gov (140.147.239.58) 210 port [tcp/z3950] succeeded!

If your output looks else you'll probably have to talk to your
network/firewall administrator.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes: Michael

> Στις Παρ 13 Οκτ 2023 στις 10:24 π.μ., ο/η David Nind <david at davidnind.com>
> έγραψε:
>
>> One thing to look for is to see if the ports used for the Z39.50 services
>> you are trying to access are blocked by your organisation's firewall.
>>
>> Or maybe the Z39.50 sources are no longer available... I'm sure there is a
>> way to check if they are, but not sure how to myself.
>>
>> David Nind
>> New Zealand
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 at 20:17, Δημήτρης Δαλαγιώργος <
>> dimitrios.dalagiorgos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have added several Z39.50 interfaces to my library but for some reason
>>> searching through Z39.50 no longer works; I get a connection timeout error
>>> message.
>>>
>>> Where should I start looking to remedy this?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Dimitrios Dalagiorgos
>>> 3rd high school of Kozani
>>> Greece