[Koha] Background job / Staging MARC import stuck at 0%

Michael Brown michael8rown at gmail.com
Thu May 11 00:49:55 NZST 2023

 Hi Cindy, apologies for the double-response: I had unsubscribed from the
koha list so my response didn't get added to the thread. I wanted to remedy
that, and also say that, because I had unsubscribed, I missed Mengü's
suggestion of updating manage-marc-import.pl. I am eager to try that fix
and will report back later today or tomorrow with my findings. Here's my
original response to Cindy before re-subscribing to to the koha list:

Yes, my koha-conf.xml does contain that block because I added it during the
initial setup. (You're right, it wasn't there originally.)

However, it doesn't help; I still cannot import batch bib records in Koha
22.11 the way I could in Koha 22.05. The enqueuement hangs and sends my cpu
through the roof until I navigate away from that page. I've gotten one
off-list suggestion that upgrading to the newest Koha fixes the problem.
Unfortunately for me, I don't really have time for that right now, so I
have (at least temporarily) abandoned my efforts with Koha.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Bests,
Michael

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:40 PM Michael Brown <michael8rown at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Please report tech support issues in Mantis:  https://mantis.ccfls.org
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 8:51 AM Michael Brown <michael8rown at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings:
>>>
>>> My name is Michael Brown and I am a professional cataloger and SirsiDynix
>>> System Admin at the Texas State Library & Archives in Austin (20+ years
>>> now). I have been using Koha on Arch Linux in my home library for about a
>>> year now. I am migrating my home server to AlmaLinux and I'm having a
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I am running Koha 22.11.03.000 Rosalie on AlmaLinux 9.1. Staging a MARC
>>> file for import gets stuck at 0%. On screen, I am able to select the file
>>> for import (bib.mrc), review the profile options (but I don't change any
>>> defaults), and then click on "Stage for import" at the bottom. Next
>>> screen
>>> reads:
>>>
>>>     The job has been enqueued! It will be processed as soon as possible.
>>>     0%
>>>     View detail of the enqueued job
>>>
>>> After a few seconds, it changes to (and then hangs at):
>>>
>>>     The job has been enqueued! It will be processed as soon as possible.
>>>     0% Not started
>>>     View detail of the enqueued job
>>>
>>> Clicking on "View detail of the enqueued job" I see:
>>>
>>> Details of job #22
>>>
>>>     Job ID: 22
>>>     Progress:    0 / 0
>>>     Type:    Staged MARC records for import
>>>     Queued:    03/02/2023 05:42
>>>     Started:
>>>     Ended:
>>>
>>> Report
>>> Detailed messages
>>> Return to the job list
>>>
>>> The corresponding entry in mariadb is:
>>>
>>> id 22
>>> status new
>>> progress NULL
>>> size 0
>>> borrowernumber 1
>>> type stage_marc_for_import
>>> queue Name of the queue the job is sent to long_tasks
>>> data {"encoding":"UTF-8","comments":"","basket_id":null...
>>> context JSON-serialized context information for the job
>>> {"flags":1,"branch":"ALMA","interface":"intranet",...
>>> enqueued_on 2023-03-02 05:42:33
>>> started_on NULL
>>> ended_on NULL
>>>
>>> (If you need to see the full entries for "data" and "context", please let
>>> me know.)
>>>
>>> tmp, koha_upload, and lock directories have been tweaked and fine tuned.
>>> was getting early warnings about them not being set in koha-conf.xml so I
>>> created them (and set correct permissions) and I can see the uploaded
>>> file
>>> (for job 22 the name is 2287629673fb980ad4102f62ebeaa1b9_bib.mrc), so the
>>> actual upload function appears to be working.
>>>
>>> I am getting no apache errors and no other on-screen diagnostics.
>>>
>>> I have Koha 22.05.02.000 running on Arch Linux that imports this file
>>> fine. Similarly, I have Koha latest running on a Debian VM that can
>>> import
>>> this file just fine, too.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Details of my system:
>>>
>>> Koha version: 22.11.03.000 Rosalie
>>> OS version ('uname -a'): Linux alma 5.14.0-162.12.1.el9_1.x86_64 #1 SMP
>>> PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jan 23 14:51:52 EST 2023 x86_64
>>> Perl interpreter: /usr/bin/perl
>>> Perl version: 5.032001
>>> Perl @INC: /usr/share/koha/lib
>>> /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.32
>>> /usr/local/share/perl5/5.32
>>> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
>>> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
>>> /usr/lib64/perl5
>>> /usr/share/perl5
>>> /var/lib/koha/plugins
>>> MySQL version: mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.5.16-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64)
>>> using EditLine wrapper
>>> Apache version: Server version: Apache/2.4.53 (AlmaLinux) Server built:
>>> Jul
>>> 20 2022 00:00:00
>>> Memcached: Servers: 127.0.0.1:11211 | Namespace: KOHA | Status:
>>> running. |
>>> Config read from: koha-conf.xml
>>> Zebra version: Zebra 2.2.7 (C) 1994-2023, Index Data Zebra is free
>>> software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome
>>> change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. SHA1
>>> ID:
>>> ac40f289672405a299436d73c1532f9906774cc6 Using ICU
>>> Zebra status: Running
>>> Message broker: Using RabbitMQ
>>> Date and time: 03/01/2023 16:20
>>> Time zone: Used: America/Chicago | Config: Undefined | Environment (TZ):
>>> Undefined
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael