[Koha] Frameworks and Their Purpose

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:48:49 NZST 2020

Hello, Elaine, et al!

    In our latest exchange, on 10 July 2020, at 3:42 AM, you wrote:

If you can see the 949$c in MarcEdit, you can change it there. I'm pretty
> sure I did this to a batch of records, but it was quite a while ago.

    I don't believe that 949$c and the framework are exactly the same
variable in the Koha code even though they are related. 949$c seems to
become the default item code when adding new items; while the framework is
stored in frameworkcode of each bibliographic record, and it corresponds to
the different frameworks in your system. In my case, I've tried to
frameworkcode to the Library of Congress bibliographic types of BK, CR, MU,
etc. for the ease and convenience of my staff. Unfortunately, there are
quite a few records that have the Koha default frameworkcode, and I'm
trying to correct them.

    Since our system isn't yet live, it may be easier to export the records
and upload them into the permanent system with the 949$c-to-frameworkcode
correspondence. Not a perfect solution by any means, but a viable one.

    If it would be nice if Koha did have such a default correspondence
table (to be overridden with another 949 subfield or 999 subfield). Maybe
I'll submit such a feature request.

    Last December, I asked this question. I got a response that it may be
possible to make such a mass change through Koha's SQL faculty. I know how
to write SQL statements but it's been awhile since I last did so. I'll have
to relearn SQL SET statements and experiment on a very small set of records
before I change frameworkcode in the entire database.

    Thanks for your suggestion and comments.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.