[Koha] Koha Local Cover Images and Webp Image Format

Craig Butosi cbutosi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 05:26:19 NZST 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to delve into the world of web page optimization and
performance, looking at browser caching, mod_expires, mod_headers, and
mod_deflate, etc.. I've come to learn that one of the better Web
formats for images is the new Webp format
(https://developers.google.com/speed/webp).

I was wondering if there was anything in the works to make Koha
compatible with Webp images for, say, local image covers? Or, has
anyone tweaked Koha to allow for Webp image uploads?

Obviously caching URLs is the way to go where possible, so I am
running Coce and it's pretty reliable for modern publications;
however, for older or rarer publications Coce's sources (Google and
OpenLibrary) can only find so much. Sometimes local book covers are
needed.

Many thanks,

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
Library: library.craigbutosi.ca