[Koha] Upgrade: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS / Koha 17.11.18.000

Alex Shepherd kiwi64ajs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:14:31 NZDT 2020

Hi Guys,

I’m needing to update my Koha server that hosts 8 separate instances of Koha and just looking for any advice or guidance to reduce disappointment…

Its on a Digital Ocean Droplet, which I’ve taken a SnapShot of and will test the upgrade on a cloned test instance from the snapshot before doing it on production, so its low risk but I want to avoid unforeseen issues that may not show-up for a while.

I’m aware of the notes here: https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages#Upgrade_Instructions but they are quite brief and I kinda expect more issues than “it just works”… Maybe it does - I don’t know yet.

It is currently running:

	Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
	Koha 17.11.18.000
	MariaDB 10.0.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

The only “special” things I’ve done to this server are:

A) install the IndexData repos:

  http://ftp.indexdata.dk/ubuntu xenial InRelease
  http://ftp.indexdata.dk/ubuntu xenial Release

  to upgrade Yaz and Zebra as there were issue with my Koha instances handling some Asian languages (Thai I believe) that were improved with the later versions.

B) Add the Startup scripts to each MySQL DB to reset the sequence numbers etc on boot.

Questions in my mind:

1) Do I just alter the APT Koha repo to say 19.11 and run update/upgrade in one step or is there a need to step through each major version to get there?

1) Should I also upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 LTS or just leave it on 16.04 LTS? This might affect the Yaz and Zebra versions as well.

Any comments or advice?

Regards

Alex Shepherd

p: +64-7-829 4441