[Koha] Installation on so-called virtual server at external internet service provider IONOS

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel hj.oertel at t-online.de
Mon Jan 27 05:34:16 NZDT 2020

Hello Chris,

thanks for the feedback. I know that I have to consider a lot of things if
hosting the Koha server in-house. The only advantage would be cost.

You ave me a good feeling for choosing an ISP. I will have look at the ISP
Franz has mentioned.  3.99€/month is a good price. IONOS asks for  10€/Monat
(VPS M: 2 Core, 2G RAM, 80G SSD)

 Heinz

Am Sonntag, 26. Januar 2020, 15:54:59 CET schrieb Chris Brown:
> Hi Heinz-Jürgen,
>
> I don't have any experience of IONOS but I successfully host Koha on a
> virtual private server from Digital Ocean. For a long time we were running
> on a small configuration costing 20 USD per month though we have now
> upgraded as we're supporting 5 libraries (and a web site). I have had a
> smooth ride (though I do have prior experience of administering Linux
> servers). Digital Ocean will give you a VPS with Debian pre-installed which
> makes it easy to get started.
>
> If you're hosting in-house, some things to think about:
>
> 1. Does your ISP offer a static IP address?
> 2. You will need to set up a tunnel (or do I mean a bridge?) through your
> broadband router to your Koha server
> 3. You will need a way to do backups -- preferably off-site
>
> Good luck!
>
> Best Regards
>
> Chris Brown
>

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 12:53 PM Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <hj.oertel at t-online.de>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > just a short introduction, joined the list today.
> > I'm on the way to replace the currently used Allegro-B for our small,
> > about
> > 3000 books, library. The main reason is to have an OPAC to tell the world
> > what
> > we have collected so far in our specialized library.
> >
> > We have two options
> > - installing koha on a separate pc (debian) on our premises, but so far I
> > don't know how can open the OPAC to the customers
> >
> > - installing koha on an external virtual server with root access
> > My question, is there someone here having it done at IONOS, the former
> > German
> > company 1&1.
> >
> > Or to you have better recommendations.
> > By the way, money is a very small resource in our association, German
> > Verein
> > e.V.
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> >         Heinz

mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Halle (Saale)
       Heinz-Jürgen Oertel