[Koha] OPAC Browsing Kiosk

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Thu Jan 16 10:39:28 NZDT 2020

I'm investigating adding a kiosk to our library. I can handle getting a
generic workstation to load the web site I ask for in full-screen/kiosk
mode on my own, but I'm having a hard time finding how to get Koha to show
a view that won't allow breaking out of the kiosk.

I want the following features:

   1. Disable external links, especially anything in an 856u field.
   2. Disable logging in. We don't want someone walking away and leaving
   their account active for someone else to use.
   3. Since you can't log in, there's no need to show things like "Place a
   hold" or "Add to cart"
   4. This needs to happen ONLY in the kiosk view. That is, we also want
   the OPAC to work normally when accessed from other places.

This will not be used for self-checkout, at least at this time. We're
talking about using this instead of the old-school card catalog for someone
who can't browse via a phone or other device.

The idea is this is a walk-up machine in the library, and rather than using
a feature like Lists the patron will write the call number on scratch paper
provided right there and immediately go pull the book, which is likely to
be located within 15 yards of the kiosk. But patrons should still also be
able to do all those other things when viewing the kiosk from home or other
locations.

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
402.363.5603
*jcoehoorn at york.edu <jcoehoorn at york.edu>*

*Please contact helpdesk at york.edu <helpdesk at york.edu> for technical
assistance.*

The mission of York College is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family, and society