[Koha] Can facets use search categories instead of item types?

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Tue Apr 14 19:52:50 NZST 2020

Hi

In Koha menu "Administration > Item types" you can create item types and
group them as search categories. Our library wants to show its facets
according to the existing 4 search categories instead of the 22 item types.

In our library we have 22 item types like the following:

Code: ASO
Search category: Online Ressource

Code: AUF
Search category: Aufsatz

Code: AZO
Search category: Online Ressource

Code: AZP
Search category: Aufsatz

The facets do show these item types according to their descriptions, thus

Aufsatz // Sammelband [online]
Aufsatz // Sammelband [print]
Aufsatz // Zeitschrift [online]
Aufsatz // Zeitschrift [print]

But the library would like to have facets just like the following
according to the search category:

Aufsatz
Online Ressource

As I found in the Zebra configuration the facets are actually using the
content of MARC 942$c (the code of the item type) and displays the
respective description. Actually I don't see a way how to use the search
category instead - but maybe there is one, that we can't see?

My solution would be to

* create new item type codes according to the current search categories
* delete the current search categories
* change all bibliographic records using SQL (still to be written...) by
putting all content of MARC 942$c/952$y in another field (e. g. 942$d)
and instead fill 942$c/952$y with the new item type code

Do you maybe have a better idea to achieve our goal?

Best wishes: Michael