[Koha] ISBN matching for ebooks

Joelle Hannert jhannert at nmc.edu
Fri Sep 20 02:55:49 NZST 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to refine my matching rules for importing staged records, and
I'm having trouble setting up the right combination of match points to get
matching in the way that I want. This is for loading ebook records, so if
there is a matching print record I want to keep it *and* add the ebook
record, but if there is a matching ebook record, I want to be able to
either replace it or ignore the record so I don't have many duplicate ebook
records from different vendors. Have any others found a solution for this?

I want these types of scenarios to match:

   - Incoming 020a matches existing 020a
   - One of several incoming 020a match with existing 020a
   - Incoming 020a matches with one of several existing 020a
   - Incoming 020z match with existing 020z
   - Incoming 020z match with one of several existing 020z
   - One of several incoming 020z match with existing 020z
   - Incoming 020z match with existing 020z + text
   - Incoming 020z + text match with existing 020z

And these types of scenarios to NOT match:

   - Incoming 020a match with existing 020z
   - Incoming 020z match with existing 020a

Basically, if the ISBN and subfield of any 020 are the same, I want the
system to find a match, regardless of how many other 020 fields are in the
incoming/existing records. If the contents of 020 are the same but the
SUBFIELDS ARE NOT (a vs. z), I don't want the system to find a match. I've
tried all the combinations of record matching rules and match points I can
think of, and I'm not able to get a rule combo that will even get close to
what I'm hoping for (I would understand if the system can't handle matching
on the numbers of the ISBN only, and ignoring extra text like "paperback.")
Has anyone found a solution for loading ebook records from multiple
vendors? I'd love to hear your workarounds, solutions, etc! I'm really
feeling stuck here, and not wanting to add many duplicate ebook records to
our catalog.

--
Joelle Hannert
Library Technical Services Coordinator